Thursday, October 23, 2008

Basics of Shammying

So, playing an Enhancement Shammy. And here I was, thinking that Melee was only for pets, lol.

At level 58, seems like this is the routine. Lemme know if there's something big I'm missing.


  • Apply Windfury Weapon to main hand, and Flametongue to off hand

  • Drop some totems, generally Strength of Earth, Winfury, Flametongue. Usually Mana Spring, but occasionally Healing totem.

  • To pull at range, Lightening or Chain Lightening. For the tightly packed mobs, have the priest SW:P a mob to peel it off.

  • Melee attack. Position yourself such that you'll be behind the mob if your friendly Shadow Priest pulls aggro.

  • When the cooldown for the "swing both weapons at the same time" ability is up, use it.

  • When a whirlwind visual effect goes on your guy, I think that means you get a shock for zero mana, so slap a Fire Shock for the DoT or an Earth Shock if the fire DoT is already up.

  • I have some Lava button, but I have no idea if its good, so I'd slap that in there if I felt I had a decent mana pool.



Seems to be about it at level 58. Ideas?

Also, on my unit frame, I have these four obnoxious circles that indicate which totems I dropped and how long they'll be alive for.

I don't know if this is from the Blizz UI or if one of my addons is doing it.

The problem is, they're positioned directly over where my X-Perl puts all the buffs/debuffs, so its really awful.

Without the benefit of a screenshot, anybody know what I'm talking about and/or what I can do about it?

1 comment:

Zuluki said...

I have an ally shammy at 70. Flame shock is no longer a go, you get more damage from Earth shock due to the changes in spell power and scaling. Always hit Stormstrike and Lava Burst when they are available and use Earth shock as often as you like, though when the buff icon shows up top it's nearly for free. The whirlwind is your windfury animation and it means you are that you are doing a whole lot of extra damage. You have your totems right, although I usually pull with my shocks as they use less mana than the lightning bolt. And this is now a much bigger deal than it used to be.