Tuesday, April 1, 2008

MrT - why for you hate me, blizzard?

Ok, lets get the good part out of the way. Magisters Terrace. Great new instance. Some challenge, great visuals, the cut-scene was really cool. Definitely stresses teamwork and coordination for any crowd control and kill order. Interesting boss fights that are more like raid dungeon bosses rather than just silly blips along the way.

Tyvm for the new 5-man.

The beef...why the F does Blizzard allow you to release your spirit during a boss fight, if doing so will cause you to not get credit for the damn quest you're on?

They zinged me with this one months ago on the last boss in Old Hillsbrad. The big dragon applies DoT's on you. I killed him. I cheered at his corpse. I died. I released. I got back in, tried talking to the questy guy, and nada. Pretty much ruined my experience, as the group I was with was entirely people on an attunement marathon, and we were heading into BM next. Not a happy camper that day.

Saturday. Some guildies have completed MrT already. A couple of times. They are itchin to run heroic on saturday night. They want the big gun there, so I succumb to the peer pressure and let them drag me on a normal mode run so I can be attuned for Heroic.

Naturally takes an hour longer than we planned, thus causing stress to several of us who were trying to squeak it in during some RL downtime.

Get to the last boss.

Fun fight, fun bubble avoidance. Why Blizzard chose to NOT use a Willy Wonka-esque technique for avoiding floating to the ceiling, I will never know. But a fun fight, belches notwithstanding.

Silly huntard, cant quite figure out how to avoid the bubbles, gets nailed.

A guildie suggest that you can release and run back and on the next warp thingie that he casts, you'll be teleported right back into the fight from anywhere in the dungeon.

kk

Amava's spirit is hustling back up that damn hill. Team kills boss. Amava gets rez'd from the priest.

Loot dead boss with visions of quest items dancing in my head.

Nope.

A big giant F-U from the game makers.

I really wish they'd add something in that somehow informs you of the potential impact of releasing your spirit. Something subtle like...

J@CK@SS, IF YOU RELEASE NOW, YOUR PREVIOUS THREE HOURS WILL HAVE BEEN FOR NAUGHT. YOU'RE UGLY AND YOUR MAMA DRESSES YOU FUNNY. AND YOU STILL MOVE WITH YOUR KEYBOARD, HUNTARD. NOT TO MENTION THAT YOU LEAVE YOURSELF EXPOSED FOR PUGS TO NINJA LOOT THE BOSS BEFORE YOU GET BACK.

Nope, Blizzard probably LOVES when this happens to people. I bet they have a little statistics tracker on their Intranet site that counts how many people are forced to re-run the dungeon for no reason other than they released at the wrong time.

Their bean counters probably view it as getting more value for their development time, because another paying customer, and 4 of his fee-paying friends, will be "enjoying" the content another time.

Granted, after doing it on regular mode, I have no envy of that Heroic run they tried later. Wow, some of those pulls are rough.

No comments: